Friday, July 22, 2011

Things that make me laugh

 Lately, I’ve been noticing things that amuse me.  I don’t mean in the way of making fun of someone, but just in a way of the differences in our styles.  For example, it’s not uncommon for people to ride in the open bed of trucks, even the large delivery trucks.  So the other day as I’m walking home from school, I see this man riding in the back of a delivery truck wearing a woman’s dress.  Only I don’t think he had a clue it was a woman’s dress.  It was a long, sleeveless, denim dress that buttons down the front, and he was wearing it like a long vest.  He had on trousers (pants refer to men’s underclothing), but no shirt, and this long denim dress.  If he only knew what it was I’m sure he’d be horrified – but then again, maybe not. 

To qualify what I’ve said I should explain that most of the clothing that doesn’t get sold at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores in the States ends up in places like Ghana, and it gets sold at the market or by street vendors.  Many of the clothes I see here are things that came straight from the States, which is unfortunate in that the dress here has become grossly immodest because of our influence.  My blog, my opinions. :) 

Anyhow, do you remember me mentioning the tro-tro’s back along the end of May?  It’s the cheapest form of public transportation, and I think I said I don’t think I’ll ever ride in one of those things voluntarily.  Well, after paying $2 for a taxi ride somewhere, I decided to try the tro-tro for only 20 cents.  Of course, we don’t use dollars and cents, but I think you get the meaning.  Today, I caught a tro-tro to a local school, where I’ve been taking some French lessons (that’s a whole ‘nother story), and I told the side-car man where I wanted to get out.  You see the tro-tro is manned by 2 people – the driver and this guy I call a side-car man.  The vehicle has a sliding side door that in most tro-tros doesn’t really close any more, and this guy hangs out the window waving his hand and hollering something.  Basically, he’s trying to find out if the pedestrians along the side of the road are wanting a ride or just standing there waiting on something.  As the tro-tro slows down, he opens the door, hops out and lets you get in with the rest of the sardines, and you’re supposed to tell him where you want to be dropped.  I said to the man, “Calvary Temple School”.  Evidently, he didn’t understand me, and he asks me again after I’m in and we’re driving down the road.  They stop and pick up some more folks, and then this very long, loud, amusing conversation begins in Twi amongst all the passengers (except me).  I don’t understand much Twi, but it was obvious by the gesturing and the laughing that the conversation was about me.  I mean really, sometimes I think it’s so shocking for them to see someone white that they jump when they see me (at least, I hope that’s why they jump), so I wouldn’t expect to be in a tro-tro and not be the topic of conversation. Finally, the man next to me has enough nerve and skill in English to tell me neither the driver nor the side-car man know what to do with me.  “Where is it you want to go?” 

So, all of that to say, while we’re driving down the road in this tro-tro trying to get more passengers than could possibly be legal, the driver almost hits this pedestrian – an older, gray haired man wearing a woman’s black fur with leopard fur trim, winter hat.  After all, it was only 80 degrees today. From what I understand, we’re having better weather than the folks in the USA. 

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, thanks for posting this. It amazes me how different other cultures are. I guess I always thought that the rest of the world was just always trying to be like us in America and that they were just a little slow at it! I love your posts, and continue to pray for your safety and effectiveness in learning the language and serving our Lord. We miss you Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky, this is Joy, Julie's sister. Ginger (the other sister) sent me your blogspot cuz she thought I'd be interested. You know what... she was right.. this was really readable and enjoyable! Thanks for posting! :-)

    ReplyDelete