Friday, July 6, 2012

Monday, June 18, 2012 First day of clinic


It’s my custom to get up early, and as I mentioned before, the birds were good to help me follow this custom!  I always find it a bit humbling to have my prayer and Bible time in the presence of others, but given that there really wasn’t any place private I didn’t have a lot of choice.  I remember reading the biography of J.O. Frazier, a missionary to China several decades ago, and when he would stay with Chinese families he said they watched every thing he did, so he would rise at 2 or 3 am to have privacy with the Lord. 

So, after breakfast, we headed to Condega on the bus.  I think all of us were more awake and appreciative of the scenery – lots of picture taking.  The church was quiet on our arrival, and as is Bradley’s custom, we had a short devotional each morning.  This morning he spoke about Jesus’ compassion, and immediately I started fighting tears.  I lost, and they ran freely.  :}  Of late I have been acutely aware of my need to cast off the old man – not just the ungodly acts listed in the Bible, but even my “filthy righteousness’”.  My human love, at its best, is still tainted with selfishness and self-interest.  It’s been my prayer that the Lord would truly give me His love for others.  I remember in Haiti that I was overwhelmed with the numbers of patients that we would see.  As I read the book of Mark that week I underlined all the times that mentioned ‘many’, ‘multitude’, ‘much’ or any other reference to the fact that Jesus ministered to very large crowds on several occasions.  Oh for the compassion that moved my Savior to tears!

After devotions, we set up registration, triage (where weights, vital signs and the chief complaint were taken), our provider stations, the evangelization area, the ‘pharmacy’ and the dispensing area (where meds and the instructions were given to the patients).  We were then introduced to more translators – folks from the local area that weren’t necessarily associated with the church.  This is when I met Nola, and boy, did the Lord bless me.  Nola knows everyone in the entire area and in many of the surrounding areas.  The kids just love her because she gives out stickers and such.  While a few of the translators really did not know English well, Nola had no problem, and often times the others would come to her for Spanish medical words.  The beginning of the morning was somewhat quiet, and the way our conversation went led easily to presenting the gospel to Nola.  She had attended a Baptist church in GA years ago and had some type of emotional experience and then was baptized.  I was concerned, however, because she couldn’t really explain what all that meant to her.  I wondered if she were just being polite in listening to me.

Several times throughout the day I found myself very joyful and thanking the Lord for allowing me to be in Nicaragua.  I would have never dreamed I’d being doing this!  There was a wonderful spirit amongst the team, which was one of my main prayer requests before we left.  Joyce, one of my roomies, was stung by a bee – to which she is severely allergic!  Kelleigh jumped in and treated her quickly, but I was shocked to see her continue to serve.  The meds she got should have made her very drowsy and the strong reaction would have exhausted most folks, but she just kept serving.  Over 300 patients were treated that first day, but it’s hard to know the total of those saved because several people were working off and on throughout the day in the evangelism area.

No comments:

Post a Comment