Friday, July 6, 2012

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Day Two


The morning was incredibly quiet!  I was quite surprised and wondered if the other local churches had told their people to stay away. I know this has happened several times to missionaries.  Nola told me she had contacted the deaf school where she helps and several other schools to tell them to send folks.  Ever resourceful, Bradley took a taxi to some local schools and to 3 factories where cigars are made to tell them about the clinic.  This definitely bolstered business!  That day we saw ~635 patients, with ~535 of them being seen in the last 6 hours! 

For our lunches we had either peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or ham and cheese, with chips of various types and drinks.  We would eat in shifts so that we could continue treating patients.  Because of the quiet morning I had ample opportunity to talk again with Nola about the gospel.  This time I discussed justification and imputed righteousness.  Again, she listened attentively and even asked some questions, but I still got the feeling she was just being polite. 

Ugh!  I was quickly fading by 6:30 pm, talking in French to Nola and Nola was talking to me in Spanish.  We were both exhausted and getting giddy.  This was grueling, and every time I felt myself getting impatient with the patient I would stop and ask the Lord for the compassion of Jesus.  PTL, He is faithful to help us in our weakness. 

One of my weaker points in medicine is dermatology.  The Lord allowed me to meet a nurse practitioner in Iowa that does dermatology, and I would love to spend a week with her to learn general principles.  Unfortunately, because I’m not too sure of my diagnosis in this arena, I had to keep consulting with the other providers.  Thankfully Dr. Steve and Kelleigh were quite patient, and Dr. Steve even gave me some basics in treating what I was seeing with what we had available. 

We finally left Condega around 8:30 pm.  Needless to say, it was quieter on the bus ride back to the hotel.  I took a quick shower, and by the time I arrived to the dining room dinner was being served.  Every evening our dinners were very nicely prepared and delicious!  I don’t know where Maricel got the chef, but she needs to hang onto him.  Several team members took pics of the meal.  For dinner there was always rice and a salad, but the entrée changed.  Some nights chicken, others fish or pork.  One night I wasn’t quite sure what it was, but it sure tasted good.  I heard it was rabbit because a stray dog had killed the white rabbit that was hanging around the hotel, but that rabbit wasn’t big enough to feed that many people!  I skipped the salads, even though normally I love salad.  I was just a bit skeptical that the water used to wash the fresh veggies was sufficiently potable for the American gut :].  And there were a few folks that had gut issues during the week.

Thankfully, Bradley had mercy on us – we get to leave an hour later tomorrow!  I hit the hay after 11 pm – too late for this early riser.  I brought the thing to put over my eyes so I could sleep even if the lights were on, so I just pulled that down each night and was asleep in no time.  PTL, He gave me a good ‘sleeper’ – noises, lights – not a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment