Friday, April 29, 2011

I killed my dance partner last night.

Ha!  I knew I’d get your attention!  Yes, the humor is starting to revive – thank you for all your prayers. :)

So who is my dance partner?  I actually have many.  Let me explain.
One of the other missionaries here has likened the road to church to that of the surface of the moon.  Lots and lots of craters!  The drivers are going to do everything possible to avoid the potholes, even if that means driving in the other ‘lane’ of traffic (as if they have lanes).  Or it could mean driving where the pedestrians are walking.  But, despite their best efforts the taxi drivers have dubbed the ride on this road as the ‘Ghanaian dance’.  Your whole body feels a lot like one of those bobble head dolls as you rock from one crater to the next.  So my partners in this dance are the taxi drivers and other passengers!  Don’t worry, though.  I didn’t kill any of them.

My partner I did kill was totally unexpected.  Two nights ago I walked into my bathroom without turning on the light, and as I stood in front of the sink my uninvited partner step on my bare foot.  In fact, he ran across my foot, which caused me to do quite the jig!  I caught a glimpse of him as I looked down to see him scurrying under a piece of tile.  One really big cockroach!  Ok, for now on I’m turning on the light before I walk in there. 
So, last night he shows up again, but this time I’m ready with my can of ‘Birtox Parfume’, otherwise known as insecticide.  I’ve heard stories from other missionaries of these indestructible screaming roaches that you step on 20 times, their guts are hanging out and yet they’re still running away.  So I decided on a two-pronged attack: chemical then physical.  Once they’re disabled by the chemical, then I beat them into pieces until they quit moving.  The worst part is picking up the pieces.  Anyhow, I sprayed under the bathtub where I saw him hide, and this morning I started looking for his ugly little body.  But I didn’t see him anywhere on the floor.  Instead he’s floating in the bathtub where we keep water for dishes and laundry.  Good thing we add bleach!

1 comment:

  1. Love your posts, hope your Sunday was a good one.

    ReplyDelete