Saturday, April 9, 2011

Shopping

 Shopping in Ghana can be interesting.  I know I’ve told you about the market, but now I want to tell you about the grocery stores. 
From what I’m told, even 5 years ago, most things Western were absent in the stores.  In fact, if I understand right, there really weren’t that many stores!  If you really want to find something Western (something you’d find in the States), you go to the Lebanese stores.  Makes sense doesn’t it – that the Lebanese sell American products.  Anyhow, I personally am thankful for these stores.  Of course, we all know you can find Coke and Pepsi products all over the world, in the remotest village, so that’s no big surprise.  But I thought I’d mention a few other items that have surprised me.
Aunt Jemima pancake mix and syrup – the mix is over $15 for a large box.
Johnson and Johnson baby products.
Kleenex toilet paper and facial tissue.
Cheerios – which I really like, but not at $9 a box.
Several Kellogg’s cereals – again rather expensive.
Colgate and Aquafresh toothpaste.
Hershey’s chocolate syrup.
Pringle’s potato chips – again rather expensive, but in general, chips are not popular.
Microwave popcorn – I buy a bag of the old fashioned stuff at the market for less than 70 cents, and I can make several servings on the stove!
Skittles, Mars bars, and Cadbury chocolate bars.
Pampers diapers.

Things that are very expensive are hair care products for white folks and sunscreen!  Yes, Tracey, I actually found some sunscreen yesterday.  SPF 15.  I sure appreciate the SPF 50 you sent!  You would have thought that I would have thought to bring that stuff coming to Africa, but it was winter in PA when I was packing.

When I say ‘store’ here, I am speaking of a small shop with about 4-7 short aisles, with every spot crammed full.  You have to scrutinize every square inch because otherwise you could miss something you’d really appreciate if you knew it was there.

What do I miss? 
Nuts.  You can get peanuts pretty cheap, but almonds, cashews, etc. are expensive and hard to find.  I found a 1kg (2.2 pounds) bag of almonds for 26 Ghana cedi, which is about $21.
Cheese.  Again, you can find mozzarella, cheddar, Gouda, Parmesan, and a few others, but you’ll pay a pretty penny for it.  Every one of those is over 20 Ghana cedi per kg.   
A variety of snack items.  As I say, you can find Pringle’s and pretzels, but I like all the selection in the States.  I do think I found some trail mix type of stuff, though, and it seems affordable.  I think it’s even organic!
There is a vanilla ice cream that is good and very affordable in single servings.  We can doctor it up with bananas and chocolate syrup.  Flavored ‘ice creams’ are more like flavored frozen ice, though.  Believe it or not, we found Ben and Jerry’s in the local Lebanese store.  I didn’t even look at the price though, for 2 reasons – I can only imagine the cost, and I wouldn’t support that company, not even in Africa! 

1 comment:

  1. Always good to here what is going on where you are. Enjoy your posts!
    Praying for you

    ReplyDelete