Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday, August 10, 2012 Panama



I slept absolutely wonderful and woke up around 4:30 am to a thunderstorm.  I didn’t want to get out of that cushy bed – it was so, so comfortable!  But as I denied the bed and my flesh and spent time with the Lord, it seemed especially sweet as I thanked Him for His special blessings. 

It was still raining when I went to breakfast.  The food was scrumptious!  Fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, pancakes and hot tea!  Wow – you’d think I was the daughter of a King – oh yeah, I am!  The views from the dining area were beautiful – lots and lots of ocean.  The plan is to go on a boat ride to see dolphins and go snorkeling.  Unfortunately, Bradley had to stay behind to care for some details for the next trip.  Personally, I think he just wanted to stay in that cushy bed of his (only kidding). 

The rain quit and we headed out to see the dolphins, but that was a bust – no dolphins today.  Then we went to another area to snorkel.  The guy only had facemasks and snorkel tubes but no fins, and the current was too strong to snorkel without fins, so we didn’t stay there long.  He then took us to another location where we had lunch.  The water was so clear you could see to the bottom.  I found a sand dollar the size of a dessert plate – it was shocking to see one that big.  So from the colors of the fish in the water to the colors of the macaws in the trees, I was praising the Lord for His amazing creativity and imagination.  What a God we have that His glory is proclaimed from the skies to under the oceans!  Lunch was a wonderful seafood mixture with rice – I’m so glad I like seafood. 

When we left the hotel this morning the guys put all their luggage in one room and the girls luggage in another, and the hotel let us keep these rooms into the afternoon.  So, when we got back from boating, the 3 guys went to their room and showered while the 9 women went to their room to shower.  Nine women, one bathroom, one hour… and we did it!  I think it had to be some kind of world record.  I went last and I still didn’t feel rushed.  From the hotel to the airport, only to be delayed once more.  This time it was a bit disappointing because it caused us to arrive in PC after dark, and I was hoping we would get to see the Panama Canal from the air.  Alas, to be seen another day.  We did, however, go this incredibly huge shopping mall to buy souvenirs and to have dinner.  Our final dinner together was steak, banana chips, fried plantain, and strawberry milkshakes, all for less than $10 a plate.  This trip was such a dramatic fluctuation in living conditions in such a short time – from ‘middle class’ to very basic (rustic, I think some people would call it) to luxury in just a matter of a few hours and days.  From the mall we returned to the same hotel where everything began – was it really just a week ago?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment