Monday, September 3, 2012

Saturday, August 4, 2012



Today we went to a local Baptist church, Iglesia Bautista Biblica Betel, and set up a clinic for this church family and their guests.  Before we left the hotel, however, I walked around the outside to see the plants and vegetation.  There were two trees with fruit of some kind, so I took pictures and then went inside to ask the staff what they were called. The one was yellow, and it looked like it had been cut in half before it finished growing.  The trunk of that tree had thorny spikes all over it.  The staff told me this fruit was called ‘corona de Cristo’, the crown of Christ.  I call it fruit for lack of a better term, but they said it was inedible.  The other fruit they called ‘nuney’ fruit – of course, I haven’t a clue if I’m spelling that right or not.  This fruit is said to help with arthritis and rashes.  If that’s the case they need to be making a lot of nuney cream for all the rashes we saw!  I’m not really sure how to describe this fruit, other than it was green, about the size of a mango, and it had black dots all over it.  Not anything like I’ve ever seen.

It always amazes me how we can turn the oddest of locations into a clinic.  The church sanctuary was very adequate for triage and evangelism, and three of the four classrooms were well lit and adequate for provider areas and the pharmacy, but one room posed a challenge to make it useful.  There was only one light bulb hanging from the center of the room and no windows, but it had a sink and toilet – obviously a great place to have the lab and procedure area since most of our lab is collecting urine samples, and most of our procedures involve washing out ears.  We could see that outside the wall of the room was another wall on which there were more lights, so I thought I’d climb up on a chair to see if I could reach those lights.  As I said, it was kind of dark in there, and my eyes hadn’t quite adjusted, so I just about fell off the wall and the chair when a dog came lunging at me barking his fool head off!  Good night, I thought I would have a heart attack!  I must have looked like that was going through my head, too, because everyone got a good laugh out of that.  At that point, Charity said she could work with things just as they were, and I went to set up my station.  We were supposed to stay at the church all day, but by the afternoon it was evident we had seen everyone that intended to come – only 46.  But, PTL, eight of these made professions of faith! 

After the clinic we ate lunch at McDonald’s – really not something I would do in the States if given a choice – but I have to say it wasn’t bad.  I think for Ashley it was a relief to eat something familiar. Ashley helped me figure out that I had downloaded the wrong Skype app for my phone, so once I got the right app I was able to call back to the States for just two cents a minute via internet vs. my phone service provider.  Yippee!  That’s a lot of help for budget minded people J We finished counting meds, and thankfully our trunk of meds that had been left in Ohio caught up with us. 

Bed time ~ 11pm.  Have I mentioned that I prefer to go to bed early??

No comments:

Post a Comment