Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sunday, August 5, 2012



This morning we attended the church pastored by Pastor Willis.  The congregation is so large that they have 2 Sunday school services and 2 preaching services in the morning.  I chose to go to the earlier services.  Pastor Bradley preached, so I was able to understand the message, and the words to the songs were projected on the wall, so I was able to follow the music.  Their church is also known for their strumming guitars.  From what I’ve heard they even made a CD, but we didn’t get to hear them today.  I was a little disappointed, but enjoyed the music nonetheless.  For me, the hard part of going to church in these other countries is that I don’t understand the messages and then my mind wanders all over.  I do have an iPod with over 400 sermons loaded on it, so I can at least listen to preaching after the church services.  PTL for technology!

We visited the nursery briefly, and I thought it quite clever that they string small hammocks across the cribs so that they can swing two babies per crib instead of just having the baby lying in a crib.  Wow – there was some volume coming out of those lungs!  If they can train those voices they’re going to have quite the choir in the next 15 years or so.

I also noticed that they have three mission boards on the wall listing all the missionaries whom they support (not just in Panama but all around the world), and a faith-promise commitment poster.  The Lord’s plan for getting out the gospel is so effective!  I love seeing it applied all over the world.

After church I went back to the hotel and packed, and also helped pack meds for the feeding centers. We loaded everything up for our long drive to Chanquinola this afternoon.  I’m not sure it was supposed to be as long as it was, but it took us about 5.5 hours to get there.  Along the way we stopped at a little coffee house and got drinks, made a couple of bathroom breaks.  One break was at a bus station where we had the opportunity to pass out tracts.  Our route went over a mountain range, which cooled things down considerably, and the roads had lots of curves.  We had been warned to prepare for carsickness, but thankfully that wasn’t an issue for anyone. 

It was about 8:30 pm when we unloaded the vans at the hotel, which was located in a strip mall.  There was also a Pio Pio (a fast food chicken restaurant), a Chinese and an Italian restaurant, and an incredibly modern grocery store.  When I say modern, I mean much nicer than many of the stores in the States; the size of a large warehouse, a bakery, a deli, a meat market, open 24/7 and all very clean.  And the prices were great! I’d walk over to the grocery store each morning to get yogurt for breakfast and water for the day.  Panama uses the US dollar for their currency, so that made things even easier.

The hotel was definitely more along the lines of what I would expect for a mission trip.  It was clean and sometimes had hot water, had A/C, and the beds were mattresses on a simple frame.  Of course, it’s always a bonus to have Internet, too.  J  The proprietor is Chinese, and she informed us there is a large Chinese population in that area.  Who would’ve thought? 

Ashley was still stuck with me, but it sure seemed a good match in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment